This would also be an awesome recipe to bring to someone who needs a care-package type meal. Probably not for new mommies because of the gassiness of broccoli but would be great for anyone else in need of a care meal.
Recipe: Cheesy Broccoli and Chicken Casserole
Adapted from Taste Every Season
1 1/2 cups bread crumbs1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
4 tablespoons butter, melted; plus two tablespoons chilled
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon of salt
2 pounds broccoli (about 3-4 medium heads of broccoli), florets cut into 1-inch pieces, stems chopped or two bags of frozen broccoli
4-5 Cooked Chicken Breasts, cubed
1 1/4 cups long grain white rice
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon parsley
1 1/4 cups half-and-half
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease a 9X13-inch baking dish.
2. Mix bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic, salt and melted butter in a small bowl and set aside.
3. If using fresh broccoli, microwave broccoli florets, covered, in a large bowl until bright green and tender, 2 to 3 minutes (no need to add water). Be careful not to overcook or they will become soggy and discolored. If using frozen broccoli, skip this step. You will put the frozen stuff in frozen.
4. Melt remaining butter and sauté the rice, stirring constantly, until rice is translucent, about 1 minute. Stir in broth, half-and-half, paprika and salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until rice is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
5. Off the heat, stir in cheese, parsley, remaining parmesan, broccoli florets, and cooked chicken.
6. Pour the mixture into prepared baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture. Bake until the sauce is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown, about 15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Serve.